I finally had a chance to look through the January Labour Market Notes regarding the labour market in Alberta, which, incidentally, is titled, “Weak start to 2020”. You could replace “2020” with “UCP’s first term”, and it’d probably be more accurate.
Anyhow, here are some highlights:
- Alberta lost 18,800 jobs in January.
- The private sector lost 34,200 jobs last month.
- There were 15,200 fewer part-time jobs and 3,600 fewer full-time jobs
- Unemployment rose to 7.3%
- Participation rate fell to 70.3%, which means fewer people unemployed *and* fewer actively looking for work.
You can read the entire report here.
Support this story
- 109 people sent me a one-time donation.
- 163 people send me a donation every month.
- 205 people receive my monthly newsletter.