Today we finished the first part of the Stronglifts 5×5 weightlifting programme.
Basically, the programme is 3 workouts per week, alternating between 2 types of workouts:
- Squats, overhead press, and deadlifts
- Squats, bench press, and barbell row
We do 5 sets of 5 reps for each of the exercises (except for deadlifts; it’s only 1 set). We start with just the empty bar on the first day of each exercise, then add 5 pounds each consecutive day until you reach failure (expect deadlift; we go up by 10 lbs each time). When we reach failure, we drop down by 15–20 lbs, then go back up by 5 lb increments.
The programme is for 12 weeks, but you can keep going once you complete the 12 weeks.
When we finished today, here is where I sat:
- 220 lb squats
- 115 lb overhead press (I failed on 130 lbs, so just barely dropped back)
- 250 lb deadlift
- 130 lb bench press
- 150 lb barbell row
Here I am deadlifting 250 lbs.
I’m pretty excited about the programme. I’ve weightlifted off and on for over 20 years, and nothing I ever tried worked. I could never build muscle. My legs, arms, back, and core muscles are all showing development, and I am very excited about it. I’m looking forward to seeing what the next 12 weeks bring.
Support this story
- 158 people sent me a one-time donation.
- 191 people send me a donation every month.
- 275 people receive my monthly newsletter.